So as you guys know by now, we have been traveling for quite some time now. One of the things that has helped our travels be more entertaining are our travel bets. But what are travel bets?
Nothing special, nothing crazy, it is just something we started doing to pass time while on an airplane, train ride, metro, etc. We found that it makes time go by quicker and at the same time it fun!
We play a simple game like Farkle, a dice game which requires a little bit of luck, math and strategy. We also play a card game called Conquian. Honestly the game you choose does not matter.
It can be tic-tac-toe, paper-scissors-rock, or any other game that you and your friends find interesting and will help kill time. Whenever there is a bet involved in any game, it makes it 10 times more interesting and fun!
What Are The Rules?
The rules to our games do not matter, you can come up with your own rules. As long as everyone is aware of the rules and who the winner is at the end, that is what really matters. For example, we play Farkle and the first person to get to 10,000 points wins… then we play again and first player to win 3 games wins the bet. Or with conquian, first player to win 5 games wins the bet, etc….you make your own rules.
The Real Rules
Now comes the fun part… the bets! We come up with funny, crazy, embarrassing bets.
- You both come up with a funny, embarrassing, challenging, or extreme bet.
- Bets can be silly or extreme, it’s up to you.
- You have to agree to do the other person’s bet if you lose.
- You have that same day to complete the bet.
- Bets can be silly or extreme, it’s up to you.
- If you don’t complete the bet by the end of the day you drink a punishment shot.
- Punishment shot ideas: Shot of hot sauce with mustard – shot of mayo – ketchup – pepper – water. large shot of tequila – vodka – whiskey & absinth or our personal favorite, a Matt Damon.
- What is a Matt Damon? Ask the bar tender to pour all the juices from the bar mat (the mat that collects all the spilled liquors and beer) into a shot glass and drink it. NASTY!!!!
EXAMPLES OF BETS
We try to be respectful with our bets and not offend anyone’s culture when traveling, so we keep them simple but embarrassing to us. Here is a list of some bets we have done in the past that may, one day, make it to a youtube video.
- Reenacting Juliette scene at the balcony of Juliette’s house. So for this bet, we were actually in Verona, Italy home of Romeo and Juliette. We went to the actual house where Juliette lived and we bet that the loser had to go to the balcony of the house (which is totally fine, you pay a couple of euros to go inside her house) and yell from the balcony a line from the book “Romeo and Juliette.” Yes there is a video LOL! Kirsten had to go to the balcony and yell “Oh Romeo Oh Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo” she was so embarrassed!
- Celebrate CR7 goal celebration, in front of Camp Nou. Yes, for this bet I had to go to Camp Nou and do a CR7 celebration… trust me, I hated myself for this since I am a FC Barcelona fan.
- Dab strangers. So for this bet, the loser had to dab 5 strangers in Spain. This was around the time when dabbing was a thing and everyone was doing it. So I lost the bet and I had to dab strangers in Spain…it was so embarrassing because no one dabbed me back. People just looked at me like I was crazy, while Kirsten and our students just laughed at me.
- Trust Fall Challenge… so again, I lost and I had to do a trust fall on a stranger in Spain. We were in Girona at the time, and I must admit, this was probably the toughest bet for me. I could not find the courage to go up to a stranger and to the trust fall challenge. I eventually found my person but lets just say it dit not end well…he did not catch me.
- Speak Spanish…so for this bet Kirsten lost and she had to place an order of food in Spanish. Yes I know, we were in Spain and they speak Spanish…but Kirsten does not speak Spanish so this was embarrassing for her. She had to do the complete order in Spanish, including drink, payment, sides, etc…lets just say her high school Spanish classes came in handy that day.
- Dance! This one time I had to dance a Greek dance in front of other people at the Greek Fest… it was fun but a little embarrassing. I would do it again though.
- More dancing…we are both fans of dance, hence Kirsten is a dance teacher and dance is her major, and I love street dancing and performances. So there have been plenty of bets where we do a dance move in public and we both enjoy it. The one that I remember the most was the time Kirsten had to do a one minute dance pose, at Las Ramblas in front of other people. Tourists thought she was as human statue LOL.
- Eating snails and scorpions… both of these were some of the grossest things I have ever eaten and I really wanted Kirsten to lose this bet so she would eat them but as you guys can tell by now, she is pretty good at winning Farkle and Conquian. I ended up doing most of these bets. Anyways, yes I had to eat a scorpion in Las Vegas and snails in Sevilla and they were nasty!
- There have been plenty of other bets that just make our trips more fun and entertaining. Please comment down below if you guys have similar bets or challenges, or maybe give us ideas on things to do on our next trip. Also, if you would like to see a video of the challenges, let us know and we will get started on that asap.